For the last month or so, I’ve been having performance problems on my web hosting provider:
- Process were (and still are) getting randomly killed for allegedly using “too much CPU.” Log file activity had entries like this:
[Wed Dec 26 19:43:04 2007] [crit] [client 220.127.116.11] (12)Cannot allocate memory: default_handler: mmap failed: /i/wunderground_dec252007.jpg
Disabling some WordPress plugins made the problem “less worse.”
- It takes ~10 minutes to process three days of web site log files. If I try to process a week’s worth, the process gets killed. It’s not like I’ve had an abundance of blogging.
- Snafu with their billing. I wasn’t actually double-billed — ironically — despite receiving an invoice. They have been moderately open about it, but since my renewal term is up in a month, it makes time to consider other options.
That’s where I hope you all can come in. Do you have any recommendations on web hosting?
My basic requirements aren’t extreme:
- Apache web server
- MySQL database
- Ssh access – or an usable control panel letting me edit .htaccess
- ~10Gb of transfer/month
- ~1.5Gb of storage
- Support for multiple domains (at least 5)
- Support for multiple email addresses (at least 20)
- Technical support knows more about their systems than I do
Very nice to have:
- Php enabled on the web server
- Support for subdomains
- Technical support is reachable by phone — For most of the issues, email works out better, but if the server melts down, I want to talk with someone with a clue. Now.
Dreamhost’s plan includes all of the above for $20/month, thus it seems reasonable. I wouldn’t be averse to paying more if there was a substantial benefit. As a fall-back, I could use Amazon’s EC2, but it’s overkill for a J-list blogger like myself.