Oatmeal-Date cookies adopted from a recipe in Cooks Illustrated
3 C rolled oats
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t grated nutmeg
1 t cinnamon
1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 C light brown sugar
3/4 C granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 t vanilla
1 1/2 chopped dates (I used twelve whole dates, removed the pit and chopped them into 1/4″ blobules.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line too cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Mix the dry ingredients (oats, flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon) in a medium bowl.
- In an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add the brown and granulated sugar gradually. Beat 3 minutes, or until fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the butter-egg-sugar mixture. Add the chopped dates.
- Scoop out 2″ balls of dough, spaced 2″ apart. (You’ll get about 6 per cookie sheet if you offset the pattern.)
- Cook 22 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown. Don’t overbake.
- Let cool a half hour.