There’s a “First (and probably last) Annual [my company] Bake-off/BBQ” tomorrow. I’m the underdog in the muffins category. The favorite’s been very cagey about what she’s making, except she’s bringing two varieties. So, with nothing to lose, I’m trying a very aseasonal pumpkin chocolate chip recipe.
First is the generic muffin mix. This makes four batches:
Generic Muffin Mix
4 C white flour
4 C whole wheat flour
2 C white sugar
1 C brown sugar
3 T baking powder
2 t salt
2 t ground cinnamon
2 t ground nutmeg
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl, mix with a wire whisk.
- That’s it.
Theoretically, the Generic Muffin Mix can be stored for six months in an airtight container. I’ve never had it around more than two weeks.
Okay, great, you have Generic Muffin Mix, now what do you do with it? Use it in the Generic Muffins recipe, of course.
2 3/4 C of the Generic Muffin Mix
1 egg, beaten
1 C milk (Terri, use almond milk)
1/2 C melted butter or oil
Optional: one mix-in – see handy chart below.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a muffin tin or use those clever little paper muffin holders.
- Combine dry ingredients in a big bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in another, smaller bowl.
- Fold the dry into the wet until everything’s just moistened.
- Fill the cups/tins 3/4 full. Bake 18-20 minutes, plus or minus depending on the size of muffin. (Mini-m
euffins: 11 minutes; “can’t plan family outing, (munch) eating” monster muffins: 24 minutes.) Test it with a toothpick or the separated bristle from your keyboard brush.
- Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy.
Okay, so now comes the tricky part… the mix-in. Ever been to Cold Stone? Same concept — it’s just a suggestion to get you started. Unlike Cold Stone, I’ll take your dollar without having to stop everything and sing you a song.
Add to Dry Add to Wet Fold into batter last 3/4 C chocolate chips 1 C pureed pumpkin 1 C dried fruit 1 C diced fresh peaches 1 C fresh blueberries 1/2 C chopped nuts 1 mashed banana 1/2C raisins 1 grated carrot (or zucchini or yellow squash) 3/4 C chocolate chips 1 banana, mashed