We’ve been frustrated by the poor quality of tortillas available in the grocery store. Trader Joe’s’ are okay, but require advanced planning. It takes the same amount of time to make our own, fresh, as it does to run to Trader Joe’s and buy theirs.
Flour Tortillas – Makes 12; www.jimc.in
3 C flour
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
4 – 6 T lard or vegetable shortening
1 1/4 C hot water
- Mix flour, powder and salt.
- cut shortening into flour with a pastry blender
- Add hot water to make soft dough. Knead.
- Divide into 12 pieces. Cover, and let dough rest at least 30 minutes
- Roll out each ball flat. Cook on a preheated pan, medium heat. This is an excellent use for a cast iron skillet.
Cooking them is hard to describe, but you want air pockets to form and the edges in contact with the pan to become slightly charred. Flip, and cook until the other side looks the same. It’s about a minute per side.